The accounting treatment in the case of Death of a Partner is the same as the retirement of a partner.
What is the Death of a Partner:
When one partner dies by an accident or any medical issue then the partnership deed/agreement between all partners is ceased this situation is named as the death of a partner. The partnership deed is ended, but the partnership firm can continue its operation if the remaining partners want to continue the partnership firm.
Computation of Amount Due to Deceased Partner: –
When a partner dies, His legal heirs will be eligible to collect his due amount from the firm. it included capital, goodwill, and profit share of the deceased partner. The total amount becomes due to the heirs of the deceased partner will be calculated as per the retirement of the partner. In both cases, one partner left the partnership firm. In the retirement case, it is planned but in the death cases, it will happen. All the conditions or amounts are payable to heirs in case of death of a partner already written in the partnership deed. So, it will be treated as per the partnership deed. The commonly the legal heirs of the deceased partner are entitled to the following: –
- Credit Balance of Capital and Current account of the Deceased Panter.
- Share of goodwill as per his profit/loss share in the firm.
- Amount due for salary and commission as per partnership deed.
- The loan is given by the deceased partner to the firm
- Profits earned by the firm from the date of the previous financial year up to the date of his death
- Share of Accumulated profit and reserves
- Interest on his capital account balance as per the partnership deed up to the date of his death.
- Gains on the revaluation of assets and liabilities of the firm due to the reconstitution of the firm on the event of his death.
and the following amount will be debited to his account.
- The loss incurred by the firm from the date of the previous financial year up to the date of his death
- Loss on the revaluation of assets and liabilities of the firm due to the reconstitution of the firm on the event of his death.
- Amount of his drawing or debit balance of the current account and interest on the amount of total drawing
- Share of Accumulated losses
- Any amount is taken as a loan by the deceased partner.
Effects of Death of a Partner: –
There will be the numbers of effects affecting the partnership and some of them are shown as follows: –
1. New Partnership Deed:
There should be a new partnership Deed/agreement between remaining partners with all of the new terms and conditions acceptable to all partners. The old agreement will be abolished.
2. Share of Capital and Goodwill:
As per the agreement between the remaining partners, the Remaining partner has to pay to retire partner his share of capital and goodwill in the firm as per his share of profits of the firm.
3. Adjustment for Reserve and Accumulated profit/loss: –
The shares of the reserve and accumulated profit/loss will also be paid to all partners including heirs of the deceased partner. Accumulated profit/loss will be distributed in the old profit sharing ratio of all partners because these items are related to the period before retirement.
4. Revaluation of Assets and Liabilities: –
At the time of death of any partner, if the remaining partners decide to know the true financial position of the firm then there will need to reevaluate all assets and liabilities of the firm.
Adjustments Required in the Partnership: –
At the time of the retirement of the parter Following adjustment will take into consideration and these all are already explained in the previous articles, So please click on the name and check out these all articles one by one.
- Change in Profit Sharing Ratio
- Valuation of Goodwill
- Adjustment for the Reserves, Accumulated profits/losses, and Deferred revenue expenses.
- Revaluation of Assets and Liabilities
- Adjustment of Capital in Partnership
Thanks for reading the topic.
please comment your feedback whatever you want. If you have any questions please ask us by commenting.