Single Column Cash Book is very simple because it is similar to the cash account. it has only one column on both sides. The Debit side of the cash book shows all receipts and the credit side shows all the payment made. A specimen of it shown below:
The Content covered in this article:
The columns of the Single Column Cash Book are explained below:
The date of the transaction is written in this column —in the first row, we will write the year till it will not change and in the subsequent rows, write the name of the month followed by the actual date.
In this column, the name of the opposite account is written (the second aspect of cash transaction). Below is written the narration of the transaction.
3. Voucher Number (V. NO.):
The voucher number for each item of receipt and payment is also written. A voucher is necessary for each item of receipt and payment. Generally, a voucher has a serial number and this number is written in this column (V. No).
4. L.F. (Ledger Folio):
The page number of the Ledger where the concerned (opposite ) account has been opened, is written in this column. This will help to locate the account from the Ledger. It may be noted that in a Ledger account J.F. is written as the reference, while in a Cash Book L.F. is written.
The amount of the transaction is recorded in this column. The amount of cash received is recorded on the debit side in the amount column and the amount of cash paid is recorded on the credit side in the amount column.
Example of single column cash book: –
Ex No. 1: –
- 01/04/17 Started a business with cash Rs 50,000/-
- 04/04/17 Goods purchase worth Rs 10,000/-
- 07/04/17 Rent paid for the building Rs 1,000/-
- 09/04/17 Wages paid for Rs 2,500/-
- 11/04/17 Sold goods worth Rs 5,000/-
- 12/04/17 Purchase goods from Ram & sons Rs 4,000/-
- 14/04/17 Commission paid to Rohan Rs 100/-
- 16/04/17 Labour charges paid for Rs 250/-
- 18/04/17 Furniture purchase for Rs 2,500/-
- 21/04/17 Sold goods worth Rs 2,500/- to Ramesh.
- 25/04/17 Freight paid to Rs 300/-.
- 29/04/17 An owner withdraw cash from the business for personal use Rs1,000.
Transaction Dated 12/04/17 & 21/04/17 not recorded in cash book because of these are credit business transactions.
If you have any questions about this topic of Single Column Cash Book please ask it in the comment section below.
Check out Financial Accounting Books @ Amazon.in