Elements of directing refers to Supervision, Motivation, Communication, and leadership. These four elements help in the achievement of organizational goals effectively. Directing is only complete with these four elements.
Supervision+ Motivation+ Communication+leadership = Directing
Elements of Directing:
Guiding, observing, and instructing the employees at work is known as supervision. A supervisor gives instructions to his workers to do the work in an efficient way so that resources can be used appropriately and the organization achieve the desired goals.
Control, Optimum Utilization of Resources, Discipline, Feedback, Improve Communication are the main functions of a supervisor. He has to perform all these functions properly because the fulfillment of organizational objectives totally depends upon him. Though, is he having a direct link between the workers and they are doing operations according to the plan given by top-level management.
Motivation refers to inspiring the workers towards their job/work. This is the responsibility of the manager or superior that he should motivate his subordinates towards the accomplishment of the given task. With motivation, employees perform their duties by heart and if they are satisfied with their job then they will be retained for a long period of time.
There are some features related to motivation which are as under:
- Motivation is a psychological phenomenon it includes inner feelings such as need/desire, wants (suppose desire for a new car, desire for respect.
- Goal-directed behavior in the motivation tells about the behavior of the people at work to achieve the desired goal.
- It can be positive like promotion, incentives, bonus, increment, etc., and can be negative like warning, demotions, stopping the increments, etc.
- Motivation is a dynamic and continuous process because needs are unlimited and continuously changing according to the situation. So managers have to perform the functions related with the motivation to make the employees inspired towards their goals.
The process of influencing people to accomplish their goals is called leadership. A good leader is a person who knows the way and who shows the way in the right direction. In the organization, a leader only performs one function-Directing( Giving direction, observing the employees, and provide guidance).
The types of leadership styles are:
- Autocratic leadership:(Boss centered)
- Participative leadership styler:(Group centered)
- Free-rein leadership style: information and resource provider)
Exchange of ideas,views, message and information between two or more people is known as communication.In the organisation it should be effective otherwise confusion will be created. It is a two way process- (sender sends the message and reciever recieve the message).
In the organization, the formal and informal way is used for the communication. The scaler chain represents the systematic flow of information within the organization.
It would be in sequence, means from the high level to the lower one (A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J, etc), If the sequence will be broken then there will be a chance of a communication gap. Henry Fayol permitted a shortcut in the chain called “Gang Plank” which helps in direct communication between the departments of the organization without following the chain.
Thanks for reading the topic.
Please comment on your feedback whatever you want. If you have any questions, please ask us by commenting.
Also, Check our Tutorial on the following subjects: