The right to have overall information about the products is termed as Consumer Rights. It also covers the protection against the unfair trade practices. For getting more clarity about the concept let’s start with its meaning:
Meaning of Consumer Rights:
It refers to protect the consumer against unfair trade practices. This concept is firstly outlined by US President John F. Kennedy with the vision to safeguard/protect theconsumer in his special message on 15 March 1962 ( we celebrate it as World Consumer Rights Day).
To avoid the exploitation, government of India provided the rights to all the consumers under the Act. By this, consumer can get the information regaring the product and its quantity, quality, purity, and price etc.
Kinds of Consumer Rights:
There are various rights provided by the government of India to the consumers which are as follows:
1. Right to Safety: Consumers have the right to be protected against the marketing of goods that are hazardous to life and property. This right is concerned with the consumer’s long-term interest as well as for their present needs.
2. The right to the gratification of basic needs: The appropriate food, clothing, care, education, shelter, health public utilities, etc are the basic needs. And the customer has a right to protect all these things by taking surety from the seller with proof.
3. The right to be Informed: To be protected against dishonest or misleading advertising, the customer has the full right to get information about the product and its usage, etc.
4. The right to Select: With the consumer protection act, every customer is now able to select the product according to his/her wish from a range of products and services.
5. The right to be Heard: The consumer interests and preferences are represented in the making and execution of government policies are included in this kind of right.
6. The right to Redress: For fair settlement of claims, including compensation for misrepresentation, poor-quality goods or undesirable services.
7. The right to Consumer Education: It refers to gain the knowledge and skills which are required to make informed, confident choices about goods and services.
Thanks for reading the topic.
Please comment on your feedback whatever you want. If you have any questions, please ask us by commenting.
Also, Check our Tutorial on the following subjects: