When an organization work upon searching and attracting more and more employees to apply for vacant jobs then it is termed as Recruitment. There are two main sources of recruitment: Internal(vacant positions filled by existing candidates) and external(filled vacancies from outside the organization).
The Content covered in this article:
What is Recruitment?
Recruitment refers to the process of searching for appropriate candidates to fill the vacancies. By recruitment, an organization can receive a number of applications for the selection process.
“It is a process of searching for prospective employees and stimulating and encouraging them to apply for jobs in an organization.” He further elaborates it, terming it both negative and positive.
-Edwin B. Flippo
has said, “However, the act of hiring a man carries with it the presumption that he will stay with the company-that sooner or later his ability to perform his work, his capacity for job growth and his ability to get along in the group in which he works will become matters of first importance.”
-Joseph J. Famularo
Sources of Recruitment:
The organization uses different ways to find out the best human resources for efficient working in the organization. which are divided into two categories which are as follows:
1. Internal Sources: The vacant jobs are filled by the existing employees within the organization, no outsider is permitted for this.
a) Promotion: It means to shift the candidates from their position to a higher position with a high level of authority. For example Promotion of assistant manager to Departmental Head. A person is only got a promotion if he does his work efficiently and according to the given task.
b) Transfer: When an employee is moved from one workplace to another with the same level of authority. There is no change in the Rank and Responsibilities of the employee. Only the workplace is changed. For example, In the production department employee is shifted from one line to another. Or storekeeper is shifted from the purchasing department to the warehouse the work is the same like to keeps the material safe.
c) Employee Referrals: It means to find out talented people within the organization by asking their existing employees to recommend candidates from their existing networks. Suppose Mr. A (HR manager) of ABC ltd. asking his departmental heads for the recruitment of candidates required for the vacancy related to the assistant manager in the production department.
- It encourages the existing employees.
- Very little time is required for the training because employees are already knowing about the organization’s policies and procedures to do the work.
- It includes the low cost for the process of recruitment.
2. External Sources: When the candidates are invited from outside the organization it is called an external source of recruitment. The external source is best when there is a large number of candidates are required in the organization. Direct recruitment, advertisement Employment Exchange, Recommendations from present employees,(It includes the friend and relatives) Placement Agencies, Campus placements, Labour Contactors, Advertisement on TV, Web Publishing(the common websites like: Naukari.com, Monster.com) etc are the methods used as external sources.
- This source is very useful when there is a requirement for a large number of human resources in the organization.
- The new organization using external sources for filling the vacancies.
- Management gets talented candidates as per the requirement.
- The organization gets the wider choice to select the appropriate candidates.
Process of recruitment:
It is the way to identify the appropriate candidate for the particular vacancy which includes some steps:
1.Identifying and planning: In this, first of all, management identifies the real need to appoint the candidate and making a plan that how when, and where to advertise for the recruitment.
2. Job Description and Search: It includes the description of the core concepts of the particular job like the title of the job, duties and responsibilities, location, qualification, skills that are required.
3.Screening and Shortlisting: Then-candidate is shortlisted for the interview. 4.Conduct an Interview: In this phase, questions are asked to the candidate related to his personal info. and qualification, experience if any then salary negotiation has been done.
5.Evaluation and Offer. In this step, candidates are evaluated and the best one gets the offer letter for the job,
6.Induction of the New Employee: At last new employee is introduced by the HR manager/ executive to all so that he familiar with the rules and regulations and people and their behavior.
Thanks for reading the topic.
Please comment on your feedback whatever you want. If you have any questions, please ask us by commenting.
Also, Check our Tutorial on the following subjects: